[help-GIFT] Fwd: GIFT/giFT conflict

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: [help-GIFT] Fwd: GIFT/giFT conflict
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:48:13 +0200

--- Begin Message --- Subject: GIFT/giFT conflict Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:36:30 -0700 User-agent: Mutt/1.5.4i
Wolfgang,

It would appear that our projects inadvertently collide with the "gift" name.
My project was originally registered somewhere in very early 2001, and has now
reached its first major public release.  Thankfully I maintain a casing
distinction from yours (we use giFT rather consistently), although I fear this
may create some confusion and tension if not properly addressed.  I would be
willing to concede that the ownership of the name legitimately belongs to you
(you registered first, yada yada), however your project appears to be
significantly less active and I would prefer not to rename mine unless some
legitimate conflicts will arise.  I like the name, what can I say :)

As it stands now, we exist on sourceforge at
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/gift, however we have recently considered
a move to savannah.nongnu.org (how I found your project).  I had considered
using the name "giftproject" when we complete that move to avoid literal
collision, although I don't want to step on your toes if that is possible to
avoid.

Please let me know what your opinion is on this matter so that I know how to
proceed.

--
Josh Guilfoyle
http://jasta.gotlinux.org/