Re: [help-GIFT] gift features

From: Henning Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] gift features
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:13:52 +0200

Hi,

your calculation is basically right, I think, but the Gabor filter responses are also stored in the form of a histogram which adds another 3x4x9=108 features to my knowledge. This results in a total of 84362 possible features of which an image has a maximum of 3686 and a minimum of 341, but normally around 1000-2000. I think that the older papers on Viper (http://viper.unige.ch/research/publiByType.html) describe these features in slightly more detail. If you do not omit the lowest frequency band of the Gabor filters (which might be the default in gift) you end up with 30720 Gabor blocks and 120 features for the histogram which gives a total of 87446 features.

I hope that this makes things clearer and I hope that I calculated correctly.

Cheers, Henning

Mika Rummukainen wrote:

Hi everybody,

I'm recently graduated (Master of Science), now working as research assistant in
Helsinki University of Technology experimenting with the CBIR system developed
in our laboratory (www.cis.hut.fi/picsom) as well as with GIFT.
Now, I'd like to know how many features (in total) there are in GIFT. Most of
the publications of Viper/GIFT say its over 80 000 but not the exact number.

My calculations based on the "Efficient access methods for content-based image
retrieval with inverted files" by H. Muller, D.McG. Squire, W. Muller and T. Pun
give me

 166 colors (color histogram)
56440 possible color block features (based on block mode color)
27648 possible features of texture features =====
84254 total number of features.

Now, what am I missing here, since when I indexed a Corel collection of 59 995
images with GIFT and calculated the total number of features from the fts files
that GIFT had extracted a total number of 87 445 features was found.
regards,
Mika Rummukainen
Master of Science (Tech.)
Laboratory of Computer and Information Science
Helsinki University of Technology

Dr. Henning Müller
University Hospitals of Geneva
Division of Medical Informatics