Re: [help-GIFT] Use of CPAN to automatically download and install Perl m

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Use of CPAN to automatically download and install Perl modules
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:32:25 +0200

Am Dienstag, 10. September 2002 04:36 schrieb David Squire:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just downloaded GIFT 0.1.9 - I haven't installed a new one for
> nearly a year. During configure, it says:
>
> WARNING: INSTALLING PREREQUISITES
>  DUE TO TECHNICAL REASONS WE WILL HAVE TO IGNORE THE --prefix PARAMETERS
> HERE
>  IF YOU NEED THEM FOR YOUR APPLICATION/INSTALLATION, CALL
>
>  echo "perl gift-install-prerequisites.pl /binary/directory
> /lib/directory"
>
>  BY HAND
>
> Now, I don't want to install as root - and some people may not be able
> to. Is it really so hard to use the --prefix parameters here?

Ugh. I have to look into that. I remember two possible problems:
One of them is, that it is not always that easy to get at the parameters
within ./configure without losing the benefits of automake.

> Also, I prefer to download and install any Perl modules I need by hand,
> rather than using the CPAN module. Could configure offer an option to
> use CPAN, rather than just going ahead and doing so?

In fact, I have rolled a package of prerequisites, and I have asked the GNUs
(cheers, Brian) if it is possible to put that in the GIFT download area, even
if it's non-gnu software. If it's not possible, I guess we will put it on the
viper server. However, I prefer the ftp.gnu.org solution. When there is a
decision (probably today or tomorrow) I will let you know.