Re: [help-GIFT] gift-add-collection

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] gift-add-collection
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:21:01 +1000

Dipti Vaidya wrote:

> Hi David,
>     Thanks for your prompt reply.It didn't give me any warnings or complains
> while configuring and making the files.
> But when i tried to locate the Writer.pm using "locate Writer.pm" it didn't
> do anything !! Just returned the command prompt.

It did do something - it searched its database and found no matches. It would
seem that you don't have any file containing "Writer.pm" on your system.

> Also i tried using the command " find | grep Writer.pm ", it didn't give me
> "Writer.pm" in the results..

in what directory did you do this? When given no arguments, "find" looks in the
current directory and below. What you want is:

find / -name '*Writer.pm' -print

but there is no need, since locate says that it's not there.

> Do u think, the software musn't be installed completely ?

This Perl module is not part of the GIFT, but it is required for it. I've just
downloaded the latest GIFT release (0.1.9), and it complains during ./configure
if it can't find Perl modules it needs. I think that version 0.1.8 tries to get
them for you from CPAN. I suspect that you might need to be installing as root
for this to work seamlessly.

Perhaps you should get version 0.1.9 and try again?

> Also where is the ./gift-install-prerequisites.pl located ? I couldn't find
> it in ./scripts/perl folder.

I've just downloaded version 0.1.8 to check this out. It's in the top directory
of the distribution:

~/src/gift-0.1.8 (davids : viper)
Sep 10 - 12:07pm % find . -name 'gift-install-prerequisites.pl' -print
./gift-install-prerequisites.pl

> Please let me know what you think is wrong .

You don't have some Perl modules that the GIFT needs. You need to get them
(from www.cpan.org) and install them.

> > >    I'm trying to install the GIFT software (version gift-0.1.8) in my
> >home
> > > directory which is on SUN machine. I run the compile and make install
> > > commands using the Linux OS and it works just fine.
> >
> >No complaints or warnings at all?

Did you install as root? If you weren't running as root, then the CPAN module
will not have been able to install the Perl modules it downloaded and compiled.
This would cause the problems you see. There would have been warnings though.
Are you really sure that there was none?

> > > I've my images stored in this directory: /home/dvaidya/0001.
> > > Also inorder to run the perl script "gift-add-collection" , i've to go
> >in
> > > /home/dvaidya/gift-0.1.8/scripts/perl directory .
> >
> >Even after you've done "make install"?

This problem would also arise if you were not installing as root, and you
didn't specify an appropriate --prefix argument to configure.

Cheers,

David

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Postgraduate Research Coordinator (Caulfield),
Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University, Australia