Re: [help-GIFT] GIFT for a windows operating system

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] GIFT for a windows operating system
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:01:53 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 7. August 2002 02:32 schrieb Ludger Niehues:
> Dear Madam or Sir,
Dear Mr. Niehues,

> I've tested the GNU Image Finding Tool under a LINUX operating system,
> which works really fine. - amazing!

I guess we all like to hear that :-)

> I'm also very interested in using GIFT under a Windows operating system.
> The Apache Web Server, MySQL and PHP4 are ready to work under Windows.
> I've already got some programming experience in C/C++ and looked at GIFT'S
> source code.

OK

> Is it possible to compile these sources for a Windows system or are there
> features included which will only
> function correctly under a Linux operating system?
> Is it already possible to get a Windows Version of GIFT?

Currently, I'd guess that there are two platform dependent things happening
that would need you to spend some time when porting:

1) GIFT is not using libtdl for dynamic loading. That is, I am only using half
of libtool, in a way (naughty me). The bad thing is, that currently the
plugin mechanism is not directly portable, if I am well informed. The thing
to do would be to make GIFT work with ltdl (who wants to do that: please see
the libtool info pages for more info). I currently am too swamped for doing
that. If I look into that, I will definitely inform the list. I ask anyone
attacking that problem to do the same.
2) Multithreading: if you want to use GIFT with multithreading (that is most
interesting if you have a multiprocessor machine). Then you would have to
invest some time to get things going under cygwin, I guess.

If you have some time to invest for porting GIFT, I would try doing so under
cygwin. If you are working on that problem, please tell this list, and we
will try to help you as best as possible. It would be great to see that
going.

Regards,
Wolfgang Müller (usually just Wolfgang in this list)