Re: [help-GIFT] i18n-proposal

From: Pruet Boonma
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] i18n-proposal
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:01:59 +1000

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:42:10AM +0200, Wolfgang M?ller wrote:
> Thanks, David,
>
> > <i18-collection-names
> >     en="sauerkraut eating contest"
> >     de="Sauerkraute฿wettbewerb"
> >     fr="concours des mangeurs de choucroute"
> > />

In my opinion, it should be better if we can add new language support
without the need to alter the MRML DTD. For example, I prefer the
similar way as <collections> and <algorithms>,
<i18n-collection-names-list>
    <i18n-collection-names
         lang="en" text="sauerkraut eating contest" />
    <i18n-collection-names
         lang="de" text="Sauerkraute฿wettbewerb" />
    <i18n-collection-names
         lang="fr" text="concours des mangeurs de
choucroute" />
</i18n-collection-names-list>

However, we need some "default" language which must be provided by the
server. So, clients can select that language if there are no the other
choices.

> Yes, I guess that's better. However, I re-thought about it. My first
> suggestion is a real dirty hack with few benefits and lots of shortcomings.
> Yours is already cleaner, but the question remains in what it will be better
> than proper preferred language negotiation. What about that one:
>
> When configuring a session, the client sends
>
> <configure-session ...>
> <i18-preferred-languages>
> <language language-code="de"/><!-- I prefer german over french -->
> <language language-code="fr"/>
> </configure-session>

Look good, for me. So we don't have to change the DTD much, just add a
couple tags.

So, in my point of view, there are two approaches now, clients tell
servers which language they prefer. On the other hand, servers send the
message in every supported language. Then, clients select the
appropriate language.

I think that the first choice is better.

> and the server does the real internationalization in a proper way. If the
> preferred languages are unknown, the server takes its preferred language. I
> guess everything else becomes really dirty at some point.
>
> I am starting on it now. Comments welcome, scream if you disagree :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Wolfgang

Pruet Boonma
Department of Computer Engineering, Chiang Mai University
http://www.doc.eng.cmu.ac.th , http://mptc.eng.cmu.ac.th

"Think twice before attaching M$-word, M$-excel, M$-powerpoint"