Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Region query for MRML/GIFT

From: Pruet Boonma
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Region query for MRML/GIFT
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 05:11:35 +1100

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 06:19:45PM +0100, Wolfgang M?ller wrote:

<--cut-->

> > So I think that we should extend by
> > add new child tag to <query-step>, which is <user-segment-query-list>
> > (the wording can be changed later).
>
> How about this?
>
> <user-relevance-element image-location="some://url" relevance-level="1">
>   <!-- this is some overall relevance of the image gathered from by the
> client from segments-->
>   <user-relevance-segment relevance-level="-1">
>   <!--some segment description here -->
>   </user-relevance-segment>
> </user-relevance-element>

This is the message from client->server ? So it's the regional selection
by user as you've mentioned in the previous email. (Because in my case,
the client just send segment id back, and it should be enough.)

It's possible to do this way, just reverse or move the region data from
the client side to user side. But in this stage, I believe that the
recent region description scheme is not efficiency enough to describe
user select region, which is free form selection. Generally, the recent
scheme use mpeg-7 which only supports box and poly. For free form region
description, David suggested that chain code is possibly better.
However, AFAIK, mpeg-7 does not support chain code.

Hence, I believe that you agree with me about my protocol, so how about the
 wording ? should I change any words ? If everything is ok, I will
submit my DTD soon, after discuss it (again) with David.

Any suggestion from the other members of the list will very useful and
welcome ^_^

<--cut-->
> > I will update my Dia diagrame soon, to change some query-paradigm
> > sequence.
>
> OK. Keep us posted when it changes.

Done, update query-paradigm to follow the MRML concepts. Some comments
are added also. The URL is
http://lulu.mptc.eng.cmu.ac.th:8080/wiki/index.php?MRML

> > About debian package, I've added new debian package for 0.1.7 at my
> > homepage, after fix the problem (./configure; make distclean). However, I
>
> This is cool. BTW I did some changes, so that some parts of gift that were
> distributed using the extra_dist automake tag, are now generated in the usual
> fashion. Furthermore there are some *.cc files which are not properly cleaned
> out (which make some of the compile errors. You and I don't get this trouble
> in using CVS, because the not-properly cleaned files are not in CVS, so when
> checking out the sources will be younger than the non-cleaned-out files =>
> they are correctly rebuilt). I will try to get 0.1.8 (i.e. the fixed 0.1.7)
> out till monday.

I use 0.1.7 tarball from ftp.gnu.org to create the deb package, however
I did ./configure and make distclean before start the process. So I have
no problem with 0.1.7.

> > still need some advice from you in many way, such as, should we separate it
> > into two or three packages, common+server+dev, or just create a big one.
>
> Oh, yes, this is a great question. Presently I would opt (at least) for

Should it be called
> Base: everything you need for running the GIFT and indexing a collection
'gift'
> Dev:  everything for doing development (e.g. like gift plugins)
'gift-dev'

> Now the question comes to the Perl client etc. how do we call that, or do we
gift-perl ? Anyway, I have to check the debian policy about the naming first.
> integrate it with development for the time being? Suggestions, everybody?
>
> > Moreover, I've created a .tgz from .deb, so you can have a look at the file
> > structure and which file should be included. My server URL is
> > http://lulu.mptc.eng.cmu.ac.th:8080/debian/
>
> OK. Cool. I will try to look into that before monday.
>
> Cheers,
> Wolfgang

Finally, I have some warning and error when create debian package, such
as any files should not be put in /usr/share/ directly, in this case, it's
/usr/share/mrml.dtd and it's friends. I will make some report(?) about
the problems and the suggestion how to make it works well with debian
(this should be sent to you personally or to the list ? it will be quite
long). However, the other distribution also have their own policy so
maybe we have to make some compromise about the packaging.

Cheers,
Pruet