[help-GIFT] Re: Region query for MRML/GIFT

From: Pruet Boonma
Subject: [help-GIFT] Re: Region query for MRML/GIFT
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:36:16 +1100

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:16:45PM +0100, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2002 14:33, Pruet Boonma wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As David said sometime ago, I will do a minor thesis on MRML and GIFT,
> > which is mainly to extend them to support region QBE. Therefore I have some
> > issues that I would like to discuss before start coding.
> >
> > 1. I've made a mock MRML session here [1] . Please have a look and any
> > comment will be very welcome. The regional style is come from MPEG-7
> > Visual Description Scheme, please see my draft review of the MPEG-7 here
>
> OK. this I was able to print.

I have put a Dia diagram on the web, you can grab it from my web site
http://lulu.mptc.eng.cmu.ac.th:8080/pruet/docs/thesis/xmlmrml.dia

> > [2], it's in section 4. Consequently, if everything is fine, I will
> > write a DTD as a MRML extension.
>
> ...or you will send me a patch for ./dtd/mrml.dtd
>
> > 2. Are there any development that focuses on regional query in GIFT/MRML
> > ? I think that I've seen something like mpeg-7 tag in the code, but not
> > sure about the purpose of that part.
>
> OK. This was done for Audrey Tam who used GIFT as a base for a demo of an
> MPEG-7 proposal of hers that used structured annotation. The query engine was
> written in Perl, SnakeCharmer allows for entering of free form text that is
> inlcuded into the mpeg-7 tag.

So it should not be directly related to my work, but in the future it
possible can be work together , in terms of MPEG-7 MDS.

> > 3. From issue #1. , Should I develop region query as a new algorithm or
> > a query-paradigms. In the mock MRML session above, I use both of them.
>
> In my opinion what you will do is:
> 1) write a new plugin for the GIFT (there are now possibilities to generate
> an empty plugin that you can use as a base).

I will.

> 2) create a new algorithm and the corresponding query paradigm.

I think that I will add new paradigm, such as <query-paradigm
type="region-query"> and create new plugin that provide a algorithm
which supports two paradigm, for example
<algorithm algorithm-id="s-idf" algirithm-name="Segmented IDF">
        <query-paradigm-list>
                <query-paradigm type="inverted-file" />
                <query-paradigm type="region-query" />
        </query-paradigm-list>
</algorithm>

> Cheers,
> Wolfgang

Finally, I have created a simple MRML frontend based on JSP/Bean which I
will use as my testbed in the future, it can be used to query GIFT
server for now, but not support property sheet yet. Anyway you can try
it out at
http://lulu.mptc.eng.cmu.ac.th:8080/wiki/index.php?MRML

Cheers,
Pruet