[help-GIFT] error with file names containing spaces

From: MUELLER Henning
Subject: [help-GIFT] error with file names containing spaces
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:10:56 +0200

Hi,

I just got an error report from the institute of intellectual property
which is using the gift. They often get somehow random results when
submitting a new query image to the systems, and the image itself is not
shown on screen, but only a broken link.

I took a look at some of the images and the effect is reproducible from
here. The file names are long, contain spaces and umlauts. When I change
the name to a small name without spaces the query works correct. (ie
200110181427hzoSchild mit Krone und Löwen.jpg)

The images are transmitted properly via the php interface, but where
exactly does the error occur?
If the image is somehow broken and no features can be extracted wouln't
it be better to not transmit any images instead of sending random images
(or may be the first or last of the url2fts file)?
I think that we have been talking about error handling for a while now.
May be we should make a list of error messages and define their
transmission in mrml.

Henning
     Henning Mueller, Computer Vision Group
     Computer Science Department, University of Geneva
     24, rue du General Dufour, CH-1211 Geneva 4, SWITZERLAND
     Phone : +41(22)705 7633; fax: +41(22)705 7780
     address@hidden