Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Hello from China - GIFT questions

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Hello from China - GIFT questions
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:52:39 +0200

Le Mardi 16 Octobre 2001 03:58, vous avez écrit :
> tiger wrote:
> > Dear David:
> >                 I've knew your Viper project on the web. I want to test
> > some new algorithms in this open system, but I have encountered some
> > problem. That is, I downloaded a copy of GIFT and SnakeCharmer, I
> > compiled the GIFT on Redhat7.1  and got a lot of error .  But I still get
> > a runnable GIFT,when it is started, I send a connection request from
> > client, GIFT coredumped!

Hmm. If you haven't got a collection indexed, this might happen, yes. The
behaviour "exit" is wanted, the error message is missing.

> >                 So I decided to hack your sourcecode, when I read your
> > package I found some file with ".proto" extension are included in  some
> > ".c" file but in your package I can not find the included file, I wonder
> > what is the problem. next I found fft.h are included in the some source
> > file but it can not be found too. by the way have you ever tested this

It looks like "lava". FFT is not used in David's feature extraction. Could
you tell us the file? In fact, David has re-done his feature extraction,
however, the code is not included yet.

> > program on Linux, or  do  you intend to do so in the near future?

Let's say, linuxens are the only thing I routinely test. I run Debian, the
rest of the Viper group runs SuSE, David runs RedHat. What problems did you
have?  It would interest us to have the (stdout and stderr) screen output of
your compile runs. Furthermore we would be interested in the compiler version
you're using. "We" that is either help-gift or address@hidden (rather
bug-gift, if it's a bug, rather help-gift if it's not a bug). Especially the
list is interested in the version number of the GIFT you're trying to install.

BTW: Currently there are some problems with very new versions (>= 2.96) of
the g++. However, some these problems are not generated by myself (nor anyone
else in this group), so we can do nothing but wait for a newer g++ or use an
old one (v 2.95 is the one we use).

If you want to hack the code, I suggest you to check out the code from the
anonymous CVS at savannah.gnu.org (search "gift", then go to the CVS). This
is the freshest version, and it's easy to stay up to date.

> GIFT was developed under Linux and on SUNs, and I beleieve that all current
> development is under Linux. I run it under Linux myself. I will forward
> your message to the gift-help mailing list, which is the appropriate forum
> for such questions. You can subscribe at
> http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-gift

Thanks a lot, David :-) and thanks, Tiger for your question.