Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Clarification on inverted file

From: suryani lim
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Re: Clarification on inverted file
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:18:44 +1000

Hi,

> sorry that it took me a while to answer the pruning question.

It's allright. It is a good and long reply. It's worth waiting for.

> There are two articles on pruning which you might have alreday
> taken a look at. The feature pruning that is active in the actual
> version was found to be the most efficient pruning method that
> does not change the results very much.

The best one described in "Improving Response Time by Search Pruning
in a Content-Based Image Retrieval System, Using Inverted File
Techniques" ?

> MARS actually means Multimedia Archiving and Retrieval Systems (plural).
> There is not a single Mars programme but several, it is more like a
> project name.

Right. I just wanted to make sure that I read the system Wolfgang
described.

> There were several presentation of CBIR systems at ICME 2001 that use
> very similar techniques to text retrieval, one even trying to find
> visual information that corresponds to words (called keyblocks). It is
> by Lei Zhu Chung Tang, Aibing Rao, Aidong Zhang from Buffalo. They use
> very very similar techniques to what we do.

Thanks for the reference.

Suryani.