[help-GIFT] Avoiding "localhost" in URLs generated by gift-add-collectio

From: David Squire
Subject: [help-GIFT] Avoiding "localhost" in URLs generated by gift-add-collection.pl
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:26:55 +1000

Hi,

Having added one collection (from a directory below public_html) using
gift-add-collection.pl, I noticed (only after trying access from another
machine) that the generated URLs to the images contained "localhost" as the
host specification, rather than the true hostname of the machine. This is a
problem if you want to view the images over the internet.

I have just run "gift-add-collection.pl --help" to see if there was an option
which would let me override this, but it appears that there is not.
"--url-prefix" and "--thumbnail-url-prefix" sound like what is wanted, but in
fact they are not - they don't affect the localhost issue - which I now see is
hard-coded into gift-add-collection.pl (though perhaps there was an option I
could have given to configure when I built the system?).

Anyway, I would like to suggest that a "--hostname" option be added to
gift-add-collection.pl so that this problem could be avoided.

Cheers,

David (who is enjoying having some time to get his hands dirty with this stuff)

--
Dr. David McG. Squire
Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University, Australia