Re: [help-GIFT] UPDATE: viper/gift log files

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] UPDATE: viper/gift log files
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:29:12 +0100 (CET)

WM> This is exactly what I meant initially, although the timing info is
WM> interesting for interaction studies.

I think it would be best to separate the time from the tcpip and
name issue. I find, it could be interesting for evaluation purposes to
add time stamps at many places. E.g. when building the MRML result
tree you add a timestamp somewhere before the query result
(i.e. before starting the query), then the query (once it's finished),
and then the time after the query result.

This is useful in its own right. So I would suggest adding
something like:

<cui-time-stamp local-time="Tue Mar  6 23:15:04 CET 2001" />

where appropriate into the result tree. This gives a new file and a
new class etc. . The amount of work corresponds to the other solution,
but it's more flexible.

Sending back the name is instantaneous, getting at the full IP adress
and giving it to the right classes at the right time will be the
hardest part (I do not know the name of the appropriate Unix function,
this seems surmountable)

Wolfgang M&uuml;ller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant
Personal page: http://cui.unige.ch/~vision/members/WolfgangMueller.html
Maintainer, GNU Image Finding Tool (http://www.gnu.org/software/gift)