[help-GIFT] viper/gift log files

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: [help-GIFT] viper/gift log files
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:09:18 +0100 (CET)

HM> Hi,
HM> I am in the process of analyzing the log files and I have a couple of
HM> questions and remarks:
HM> - What do you think about adding the time/date and the ip address of the
HM> query computer (if available) into the open session? For statistical
HM> reasons this would be nice.

HM> When the client opens a session, the user name is transmitted with a
HM> dummy session-number. Then the server transmits the real session number,
HM> but no user-name. Is it guaranteed that these two messages are always
HM> right after each other in the log file? Otherwise it is not guaranteed,
HM> that the connection between session-id and user-name can be made. This
HM> did not cause any problem for me, but may be it could.

This is a good question.
In fact, it's yes and no:
In theory, it can happen, in practise it will only happen at very high
load, as once the accessors are initialised, opening a session
currently is VERY fast. Opening a session means creating a CQuery, and
attaching a CAccessor to it. This can happen much more quickly than a
blink of an eye, so there would have to be another query which is sent
exactly in this moment. Since gift is multithreaded as of 0.1.5pre,
this *could* happen, but is very improbable.

HM> Wolfgang, do you think that it would make sense to send the user name
HM> back in the message with the real session-id? Like this we would have a
HM> direct connection between the two.

For reasons of redundancy I would be against *sending* that. What I
would suggest would be *writing* this information into the
logfile. The same is the case for timing and server information. I
would suggest to put in front of each message a comment which further
describes the properties of the message. Or to add to the mrml element
that has been sent an XML element containing connection information,
after sending, but before writing all this to the log file.

things would look afterwards like that in the log file:
<mrml ...>
      <cui-connection-information name="henning"
                                  ip="129.194.71.78"
                                  date="Fri Mar  2 10:56:15 CET 2001"/>
</mrml>

This would make it as easy as possible to get at the information when
parsing the log file.

What think?

Wolfgang M&uuml;ller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant
Personal page: http://cui.unige.ch/~vision/members/WolfgangMueller.html
Maintainer, GNU Image Finding Tool (http://www.gnu.org/software/gift)