[help-GIFT] inverted file generation

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: [help-GIFT] inverted file generation
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:41:09 +0100 (GMT-1)

Hi again,

MH> Hi,
MH> how can I generate an inverted file of one part of an already indexed
MH> collection? I have all the feature files and also a url2fts file.

Thanks for this interesting question.
As an explanation for the non-initiated:
When you add a new collection to the GIFT, GIFT will extract features
fom each image and write them into a *.fts file. It will also create
some *.ADI file from your image which contains
AdditionalDocumentInformation. All GIFT needs to know next is, how to
translate an URL belonging to one image of a collection into its
corresponding *.fts file location. This is done by the url2fts file
which usually (i.e. after automatic adding of a collection) resides in
the same directory as the *.fts files.
If you want to do now a subset of your collection (or if you want to
unite two collections), look at the url2fts file of the given
collection, delete some lines from it (or add some lines from other
url2fts files), and put this url2fts file into another directory. It
is also useful to copy the

InvertedFileFeatureDescription.db

file into the new directory.
After that you just have to call

gift-generate-inverted-file /path/to/the/directory/containing/the/url2fts/

(one line!
 and the trailing slash is important!)

After that you have a new inverted file.

You now have to change the gift-config.mrml file to your taste. Look
at the

<collection ...>...</collection>

tag that corresponds to the original collection. This probably gives
you enough inspiration to create your own <collection> tag that
corresponds to your new, reduced collection.

A restart of your GIFT server is necessary to make changes take
effect.

Wolfgang M&uuml;ller, assistant-doctorant
Group Home Page:   http://vision.unige.ch/
    Viper's new name is: The GIFT.
The GIFT is the GNU Image Finding Tool!
Get it at: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gift/