help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] [Question][CMDLINE_PARSER_PACKAGE]

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] [Question][CMDLINE_PARSER_PACKAGE]
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:41:38 +0200

Salvatore Santagati wrote:
Hi,

Ciao Salvatore :-)

I see from my cmdline.h (generated with GNU gengetopt 2.22.1)

#ifndef CMDLINE_PARSER_PACKAGE
/** @brief the program name */
#define CMDLINE_PARSER_PACKAGE PACKAGE
#endif

Why don't use PACKAGE_NAME ? in according with config.h PACKAGE_NAME
define to the full name of this package.

if you use this on configure.ac AC_INIT(PACKAGE_NAME, VERSION,
BUG_REPORT, PACKAGE) is possible have two names
one short name (PACKAGE) and one long name (PACKAGE_NAME).

I think is good idea added support for full name (PACKAGE_NAME)
because don't exist much program with one word, example gengetopt full
name is Gnu gengetopt.

well, that PACKAGE variable is used from within the command line parser to print errors, and thus it should be set to the actual command, and not to the package name. However, I think you're right about PACKAGE_NAME being useful, for instance when printing the output of --help and --version, am I right?

Then probably PACKAGE_NAME should be used to and probably default to PACKAGE if not specified, am I right?

cheers
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net