help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] --no-handle-help|version

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] --no-handle-help|version
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:18:19 +0100

Hi

I added the --no-help and --no-version options for gengetopt that avoid automatically generating --help and --version

I've committed the modifications in the CVS or you can find a temporary version here:

http://rap.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini/gengetopt-2.22b.tar.gz

look forward to getting feedback :-)
cheers
        Lorenzo

Papp Gyozo (VBuster) wrote:
Hi,

another minor issue I've been faced up now. Even if I add
'--no-handle-version' the processing of the commandline finishes right after
it encounters with a '-V' or '--version' option.
My application should behave differently, ie. prints the version of other
loaded libraries if the required options are given. Now the situation is the
latter one does not print engine and vdb version to the output:
  vbscan --vdb= ... --engine=... --version ; both --vdb and --engine
processed
  vbscan --version --vdb= ... --engine=... ; neither --vdb and --engine
processed

I don't know whether it's better to change the current [...]
the programmer has the complete control for them if he wants to...

The "entire bypass" may be the best if someone really needs. But if it needs a
lot to do, then don't do it. I could live with this behaviour. As I mentioned it is
really a minor issue.

however in general beside this, gengetopt generated parsers do not deal
with the exact order of the program arguments.

could you please provide an example?

Look at above! It doesn't usually matter either --vdb or --engine comes first,
the result from the application's view will be the same.

notice that the parser completely relies on getopt_long implementation about
Yes, you are right indeed.