Re: emacsclient - kill buffer, not frame

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: emacsclient - kill buffer, not frame
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 17:12:06 -0500

From: Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:02:42 -0500

Opposite of the previous question:

Currently, emacsclient kill-buffer kills the buffer and the frame.

How would I configure a command to work like gnuclient, where
kill-buffer just kills the buffer, but leaves the frame open?

You can't.  Because this makes no sense: that frame was created to
handle the buffer it displayed, so when the client buffer goes away,
the frame has no business to live anymore.

It made sense for gnuclient, and for plain ol' emacs.  Kill
one buffer and some other one gets displayed.

The behavior is surprising:

Frame A edits file 1.
Frame B edits file 2.
Frame A find-file file 2
Frame B find-file file 1
Now in Frame B, kill-buffer
... and Frame A disappears!?

What kind of workflow do you use that makes this a sensible thing to
do?  It sounds like you use emacsclient in some strange way, not the
way it was intended to be used.

I typically have ~10 frames where I edit various files.  When
I'm done with a task, I C-x C-b and delete the buffers I don't
need any more.

You helped with the other work flow, where I double click and
eventually have too many frames.  You showed me how to kill
frames while leaving the buffers available.