Re: Permission denied error when creating a ctag DB (windows)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Permission denied error when creating a ctag DB (windows)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 18:00:14 +0200

> From: "FallingFromBed ." <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 15:47:10 +0530
>
> I am facing an issue when creating a ctag DB using the ctags.exe file-- found
> in Emacs package.
>
> From git-bash, I ran the below command
>
> "$~/Downloads/emacs-26.3-x86_64/bin/ctags.exe -R *"
>
> Tag file gets created, but it skips the source code present inside the
> directories, after running the above
> command I've been getting
>
>     bin: Permission denied
>     contrib: Permission denied
>     crypto: Permission denied
>     doc: Permission denied
>     etc: Permission denied
>     games: Permission denied
>     gnu: Permission denied
>     include: Permission denied
>     initrd: Permission denied
>     lib: Permission denied
>     libexec: Permission denied
>     nrelease: Permission denied
>     sbin: Permission denied

You are invoking 'ctags' incorrectly: it needs a list of file names to
open and scan.  You used the wildcard "*" which matches all the files,
including the directories, and 'ctags' on Windows cannot open and scan
directories, only files.

What you probably want is this instead:

  $ find . -name '*.[chm]' -o -name '*.el' |
~/Downloads/emacs-26.3-x86_64/bin/ctags -

(This assumes you have a GNU 'find' command reachable from the
git-bash where you run this.)