Re: [h-e-w] Visiting hello file is making Emacs non-responsive

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Visiting hello file is making Emacs non-responsive
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 09:32:12 +0300

> From: Tomas Nordin <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 02:04:03 +0200
>
> I have just installed 26.2 on the work computer I have. I also have
> 26.1. I just today discovered that visiting the hello file, `C-h h`,
> make Emacs really non-responsive. I am guessing it is some sort of font
> problem. What is a good advice to get around that if any?

If you wait long enough, Emacs should eventually display the HELLO
file and become responsive again.  Does that happen?  If not, how long
have you waited for it?

If HELLO eventually does get displayed, look for the characters with
no fonts -- they are displayed as boxes with hex code.  Install fonts
that cover those characters, and the problem should go away.  With
Emacs 26.2, I suggest to install Symbola if you don't have it already.

If you waited for, say, several minutes, and HELLO is still not
displayed, start by trying this in "emacs -Q".  If the problem goes
away in "emacs -Q", some of your customizations are responsible, and
you should find them either by reviewing your init files or by
bisecting them.

It is also possible that you have an awful lot of fonts installed on
that system, way more than on an average Windows system out of the
box.  On my systems "C-h h" takes between 10 and 20 sec, depending on
the OS version and the fonts I have installed, but I only installed
maybe a dozen or so beyond what came with the OS.