Re: [h-e-w] suppress "buffer still has clients" message

From: T400
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] suppress "buffer still has clients" message
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 22:26:46 -0500

w32
[Version 6.1.7601] win. 7 Emacs 24.3.1

In command prompt I would type something like junk.txt, see Emacs icon blinking in task bar, click on it, be in junk.txt buffer. There I would type C-x k and then see prompt messages:

Kill buffer (default: junk.txt)  rtn   ;;; this line is not written to *Messages*

and then

Buffer `junk.txt' still has clients; kill it? (y or n)  y   ;;;; this line is written to *Messages*.

I have tried the above with diffent values for kill-buffer-hook both local and global by evaluating forms like these:

(add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'server-kill-buffer)
(remove-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'server-kill-buffer)
(add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'server-edit)
I even tried:

(defun servedit-y()
(server-edit)
(write-char ?y)
)
(add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'servedit-y)

but of course that didn't work.  Can you give me a hint toward a complete working example of using kill-buffer-hook to accomplish what I want?

When I first inspected kill-buffer-hook with C-h v it contained (browse-url-delete-temp-file recentf-track-closed-file erc-kill-buffer-function vc-kill-buffer-hook). These must have come from various customizations made over the years. It looks like its pristine value would have been nil.

ed