Re: [h-e-w] Processing chars above \200

From: John J . Xenakis
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Processing chars above \200
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 09:04:15 -0400

Hi Eli,

OK, it looks like the null byte was the major problem.  That resolves
some mysteries like why the file looked ok in Notepad -- which
presumably just deletes null bytes.

You know, I'd forgotten about this.  About three or four years ago I
was having a problem, and I finally noticed that the buffer contained
"^@", which is a null byte, and I deleted that byte and everything
was fine.  But I completely forgot about that experience until now.

Since a null byte has such huge consequences, one thing you might
consider is displaying a message, "Your file contains null bytes,"
when such a file is loaded, or a string with a null byte is pasted.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.  It's a big relief to have this
problem resolved.

John