Re: [h-e-w] Aspell issue with latex files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Aspell issue with latex files
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 10:21:29 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 23:34:32 +0200
>
> Now, MSYS2 ha the package:
>
> $ pacman -Ss emacs
> [...]
> msys/emacs 25.1-1 (editors) [installato]
> [...]
>
> which is NOT _Windows_ native and runs only in the terminal (MinTTY). I
> have tried to use your Hunspell in the same way adding
>
> (setq ispell-program-name "C:/LocalApps/ezwinports/bin/hunspell.exe")
>
> but it fail. After 'M-x flyspell-mode' it says:
>
> Error enabling Flyspell mode:
> (ispell-phaf: No matching entry for
> C:\LocalApps\ezwinports\bin\..\share\hunspell\it_IT in
> ‘ispell-hunspell-dict-paths-alist’.
>
> Notice, I had installed the italian dictionary in
> C:\LocalApps\ezwinports\share\hunspell where lives your en_GB dictionaries

And I presume the Italian dictionary files are named it_IT.* in your
installation?  If not, copy them to those names, as the MSYS Emacs
clearly expects to see that name, most probably due to the value of
LANG in the environment.

> Maybe this is caused by the fact that your Hunspell is Windows native
> while that package is MSYS2 native (Posix)?

Possibly.  Note that the ezwinports port of Hunspell outputs the file
names and directory names with backslashes (see above), and maybe the
MSYS build of Emacs doesn't understand that, or doesn't understand
that foo\bar and foo/bar are equivalent file names?

To see what exactly goes wrong, step with a Lisp debugger through
ispell-hunspell-fill-dictionary-entry and
ispell-parse-hunspell-affix-file, and try to figure out what goes
wrong there.  In particular, what is the value of
ispell-hunspell-dict-paths-alist inside
ispell-parse-hunspell-affix-file?  Compare that with the value of that
variable in a native session, after you have successfully
spell-checked a buffer.  (In such a native session, you don't need a
debugger to show the value of this variable, you can simply use "M-:"
after invoking some spell-checking command.)

Btw, why do you need an MSYS build of Emacs?  AFAIK, you already have
Cygwin and native builds, and these should be more than enough for any
editing job on Windows.