Re: [h-e-w] Aspell issue with latex files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Aspell issue with latex files
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:22:41 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 22:44:10 +0200
>
> then I have run it from command line in MINGW64 shell
>
>    /c/LocalApps/Emacs/bin/runemacs.exe &
>
> and without initialization files (without ~/.emacs.d/ folder). Indeed in
> this case Aspell is found in the PATH
>
>    echo $PATH
>    /mingw64/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin[...]
>
> Then attached GDB (from mingw-w64-x86_64-gdb 7.12.1-2 package)
>
>    ps -W | grep emac
>       6756       0       0       6756  ?              0 22:19:13
> C:\LocalApps\Emacs\bin\emacs.exe
>
>    gdb -p 6756
>    GNU gdb (GDB) 7.12.1
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-w64-mingw32".
> Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
> Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
> For help, type "help".
> Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
> Attaching to process 6756
> [New Thread 6756.0xf08]
> [New Thread 6756.0x6a4]
> [New Thread 6756.0xe28]
> [New Thread 6756.0x1668]
> [New Thread 6756.0x1084]
> [New Thread 6756.0xc3c]
> Reading symbols from C:\LocalApps\Emacs\bin\emacs.exe...done.
> (gdb) continue
> Continuing.
>
> At this point, in Emacs I visited this file:
>
>    cat test.tex
> %%
> %%
> %%
>
> \caption{5\% \label{_fred}}
> \autoref{alice} envolope
>
> %%
>
> and tried to flyspell (M-x flyspell-mode), but Aspell crashed, as
> described and Emacs stopped to respond.

No, that's the wrong sequence of actions.  You should first start
Emacs, visit the TeX file, and cause Emacs to stop responding, and
only _then_ attach the debugger to it.

If that succeeds to interrupt Emacs and give you the "(gdb)" prompt,
then type

  (gdb) thread apply all bt

to produce backtraces from all the threads.

If attaching the debugger does NOT succeed in interrupting Emacs, then
please try the following alternative:

  cd /c/LocalApps/Emacs/src
  gdb ./emacs.exe
  (gdb) set new-console 1
  (gdb) r -Q

Then visit the TeX file, turn on flyspell-mode, and get Emacs stop
responding.  Then go to the console window where you typed the above
GDB commands, and type Ctrl-C -- this should interrupt Emacs and give
you the "(gdb)" prompt.  Then type

  (gdb) thread apply all bt

to produce backtraces from all the threads.

I hope one of these two methods will succeed in producing a backtrace.

Thanks.