Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:04:23 -0500

From: David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:46:10 -0500

Could someone please point me to a solution for Windows 10? (If there is not
one, I guess I will resort to AHC.)
Did you try making a taskbar icon that invokes emacsclient instead?

I had not thought about that, but I gave it a try. I created an ALTERNATE_EDITOR environment variable pointing to runemacs.exe, and I made the target for the taskbar icon be ...\emacsclientw.exe -n. That fails because emacsclient is not getting a file argument. So I added --eval (maximize-frame). With that, runemacs does get called and emacs starts; but, unfortunately, runemacs eats the "(maximize-frame)" string and creates a file by that name. Not sure why the --eval does not prevail. Ignoring the unfortunate file creation, this still creates a separate taskbar icon for the running instance of emacs. The only good news is that the pinned icon does activate the running instance, evaluating (maximize-frame).

Obviously much improvement is needed. Does anyone have any specific ideas to achieve the much more desirable behavior we were getting with Windows 7 and 8.1?