[h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: [h-e-w] Windows 10 Taskbar Behavior
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:46:10 -0500

In Windows 7 and 8.1, we had the following solution:  Start Emacs with runemacs.exe, pin it, close it, bring up the Properties for the pinned icon, and change the target from emacs.exe to runemacs.exe.  That works as one would hope: either starting an instance of Emacs or activating any existing instance.

My habit for starting Emacs or activating an existing instance is to use Windows-digit or (equivalently) clicking the pinned taskbar icon.  With Windows 10, it does not work.  When I start Emacs with the taskbar icon, it adds a new icon to the taskbar for the running instance.  If I use the pinned icon again, it starts yet another instance.  Windows-digit becomes useless because I don't know the digit corresponding to the running instance of Emacs.

Could someone please point me to a solution for Windows 10?  (If there is not one, I guess I will resort to AHC.)

Regards,
  David V.