Re: [h-e-w] Windows 24.5 bug ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows 24.5 bug ?
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 20:29:52 +0300

> From: rjd <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 17:11:15 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
>

> > > From: rjd <3246251196ryan <at> gmail.com>
> > > Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:07:38 +0000 (UTC)
> > >
> > > https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-24.5-bin-i686-mingw32.zip
> > >
> > > I can reproduce this:
> > >
> > > unzip,
> > > goto to bin/
> > > ./emacs.exe -Q
> > > M-x about-emacs
> > > M-x kill-emacs
> > >
> > > I get an unhanded exception: Unhandled Win32 Exception occurred in
> > > emacs.exe
> >
> > You have a bad libiconv on your PATH.  Use the one that came with
> > ezwinports libraries.
> >

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/
>
> This seems to be the only place to get these "ezwinports" that I never
> needed before.  When you download it it just provides libcrypt. If you go
> into files:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files
>
> There is no libiconv. It mentions it, and links to a mingw port of it. I
> have this already though.

That libiconv library that you already have, what's its size and
date/time stamp?  It might just be the source of your trouble.

> Maybe its late in the day but should I find it
> odd.. adding a library to the PATH?

Windows looks DLLs first in the same directory where you have
emacs.exe, and then along PATH.

> Looking at the two version 24.3 Vs 24.5 I cannot see anything that has
> changed. So why the need for libiconv all of a sudden.

libiconv is needed by some of the optional libraries that Emacs uses
for some of its features.  Do you have libiconv-2.dll anywhere on your
system, apart of the one you got from ezwinports?

> In summary, this just does not work. Even when I do add the path to the
> downloaded iconv: libiconv-2.dll I still get the same unhanded exception.

OK, let's start from the beginning.  Please look in your system's
Event Log, in the Applications part, and tell what does Windows log
there when Emacs crashes at exit like that.

Also, do you have any optional libraries installed that are mentioned
in the file README.W32 (you should have that file in the binary
distribution)?  If so, which libraries do you have, and where did you
download them from?