Re: [h-e-w] Emacs gets font wrong at start up

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs gets font wrong at start up
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:29:24 +0300

> From: rjd <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:25:32 +0000 (UTC)
>
> > It's a bad font: it has no OpenType tables and does not provide
> > information about the Unicode ranges of characters it supports.  Emacs
> > will not use such a font.
> >
> > Why do you want to use it?  It only supports 255 characters, which is
> > not useful by today's standards.
>
> But emacs does the font if I manually select it from the Set Font menu as
> described above.

Yes, it does.  But that only makes it the default font for the text in
the buffer in which you choose it.  Using that as the default for the
entire frame, not just for buffer text, is something that requires a
higher-quality font.

> If I could convert those steps in to some lisp then perhaps I can
> just hack those functions in at the beginning so it loads up.

If you want it only for buffer text, then invoke the function
x-select-font.