Re: [h-e-w] emacsclient gets error with ALTERNATE_EDITOR on Windows 8.1

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] emacsclient gets error with ALTERNATE_EDITOR on Windows 8.1
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:06:23 +0300

> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:35:16 +0000
> From:  <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> Normally the presence of quotes does no harm.

It does do harm when the quotes are passed verbatim to an API that
invokes programs and expects a file name.  File names on Windows
cannot include quote characters.

> I am sure it would be possible to make emacsclient more robust in this
> situation.

It's possible, but I don't think it's a good idea, because it will
facilitate proliferation of incorrect settings.  And who knows what
that means in terms of security and privacy.