Re: [h-e-w] emacsclient gets error with ALTERNATE_EDITOR on Windows 8.1

From: dvds
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] emacsclient gets error with ALTERNATE_EDITOR on Windows 8.1
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 16:35:16 +0000

---- Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > ALTERNATE_EDITOR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe"
>
> What happens if you don't quote the string?

It works.  Thanks.

Actually, I thought I had already tried that, as I had realized that I should
have even before I posted my question.  So I apologize for falsely remembering
that I had tried it.  I originally included the quotes because the path had
spaces in it.  Normally the presence of quotes does no harm.  I am sure it
would be possible to make emacsclient more robust in this situation.  I did
think the double quotes in the error message were suspicious, which is why I
called attention to them.

> What happens if you use a short 8+3 alias of that long name, so that
> the name does not include spaces?

Never got that far, but I am sure it would work since it works with spaces.

Thanks again,
  David V.