Re: [h-e-w] Hunsepll in Emacs - charset error for Swedish dictionary

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Hunsepll in Emacs - charset error for Swedish dictionary
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 19:15:45 +0300

> From: arthur miller <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 17:20:06 +0200
> Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> > Try using utf-8 instead of iso-8859-1.  I don't think the encoding of
> > the dictionary matters (hunspell will convert if needed).  You should
> > try using utf-8 with hunspell by default.
> >

> I did! Before I posted - I used email-lists as a last resort.
>
> I have tryed with utf-8 everywhere where it could matter, and I have also
> tryed
> iso-8859-1-dos . I have try to instruct Emacs to use for LANG as in
> sv_SE.iso8859-1-dos,
> and so on.
>
> I have just tryed it again - it does no changes at all. Here are setting I
> used with utf-8 instead:
>
> (after 'ispell
>   (message "loading spellchecker")
>   (defvar *load-start* (current-time))
>   (defun anarcat/time-to-ms (time)
>     (+ (* (+ (* (car time) (expt 2 16)) (car (cdr time))) 1000000) (car (cdr
> (cdr time)))))
>
>   (add-to-list 'ispell-dictionary-alist '(("svenska"
>                        "[A-ZÖÄÅa-zöäå]"
>                        "[^A-ZÖÄÅa-zöäå]"
>                        "[']"
>                        nil
>                        ("-d" "sv_SE")
>                        utf-8)
>                       ("svenska8"
>                        "[A-ZÖÄÅa-zöäå]"
>                        "[^A-ZÖÄÅa-zöäå]"
>                        "[']"
>                        nil
>                        ("-B" "-d" "sv_SE")
>                        utf-8)
>                       ("english"
>                        "[[:alpha:]]"
>                        "[^[:alpha:]]"
>                        "[']"
>                        ("-d" "en_US")
>                        nil
>                        utf-8)))
>
>   (setq ispell-local-dictionary-alist ispell-dictionary-alist)
>   (setq ispell-hunspell-dictionary-alist ispell-dictionary-alist)
>   (setq ispell-dictionary "english")
>   (setq-default ispell-program-name "hunspell")
>   (setq ispell-extra-args '("-i" "utf-8"))
>   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c d") 'switch-dictionary-sv-en))
>
> And settings for Emacs to use utf-8
>
> (set-language-environment 'utf-8)
> (setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> > (Btw: where did you get that Swedish dictionary?)
>
> Files are from OpenOffice repository:
> http://archive.services.openoffice.org/pub/mirror/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/

Please try with Emacs 24.3 first.  With that version, I succeed in
using the Swedish dictionary above by doing the following:

  emacs -Q
  (setq ispell-program-name
      (locate-file "hunspell" exec-path exec-suffixes 'file-executable-p))
  (setq
    ispell-local-dictionary-alist
    '(("svenska"
          "[A-ZÖÄÅa-zöäå]"
          "[^A-ZÖÄÅa-zöäå]"
          "[']"
          nil
          ("-d" "sv_SE")
          utf-8)))

   C-x h
   M-x eval-region RET
   M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET svenska RET

Now go to some word in the buffer and type M-$.  You should see
suggestions for correcting the "typo".

The above assumes hunspell.exe is on PATH.  If it isn't, modify the
first setq to specify a full absolute file name of hunspell.exe.

If the above doesn't work for you, then please try the hunspell.exe
binaries from the ezwinports site.  When I ported Hunspell to Windows,
I fixed several bugs in it; it is possible that the sources you
compiled don't include those fixes, in which case the problems you see
are expected.