Re: [h-e-w] UltraVNC and C-A chords

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] UltraVNC and C-A chords
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:15:02 -0400

From: Ken Goldman <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 15:09:29 -0400

On 5/7/2013 12:11 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Try remapping Meta to one of the other special keys.  The information
is in the node "Windows Keyboard" in the Emacs user manual.

I wasn't clear.  This is not an internal emacs problem.  However, I
thought that emacs users would be likely to know the answer.  After all,
what other application needs C-A-\.

That's exactly what I thought, and so I gave you an Emacs solution.
But if that's not what you want, then why do you need C-A-\ etc.?

I've already used all the Fn keys, plus it's nice to use the standard
bindings because they're available on all machines.

C-A-\ is indent-region
C-A-q is c-indent-exp

... heavily used as I write C code.

So you do need an Emacs solution?  So what's wrong with my original
proposal?

The original proposal (read the Windows Keyboard section of the manual) did not seem to apply. This is not a Windows problem. Windows happily passes C-A-\ on to either a local emacs or to VNC. RealVNC worked fine.

The problem is that UltraVNC does not pass the key chord on from its client to the Linux VNC server.

I.e., this is not a Windows or emacs problem. I just thought that emacs users might know a solution.