Re: [h-e-w] Cannot set start of daylight savings time

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Cannot set start of daylight savings time
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:02:54 +0200

> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:05:40 +0200
> From: Bostjan Vilfan <address@hidden>
> Cc: bostjanv <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Thanks for your reply. However, I still have one huge problem: while
> format-time-string works as expected and in a satisfactory way under
> Linux, it gives wrong results under Windows. There must either be a
> bug, or some settings are wrong (but which?). I have prepared a bug
> description, which I have not yet sent, and I wonder whether you can
> comment it
>
> START OF DESCRIPTION
> The behavior of Emacs with regard to daylight savings is covered in
> section 31.13 of the manual. Briefly, the two most important variables are
> calendar-daylight-savings-starts and calendar-daylight-savings-ends,
> which are defined in cal-dst. If these variables are nil (or undefined,
> when cal-dst is not loaded), daylight savings is not used; otherwise,
> they define the start and end of daylight savings time. The default
> value for the two variables corresponds to daylight savings in Cambridge,
> Massachusetts.
>
> When the function format-time-string is tested under Linux after calling,
> e.g., "emacs -Q" by evaluating the form
>
>     "(format-time-string \"%H:%M\")"
>
> one gets the expected answer, i.e., the current local time since the two
> above mentioned variables are undefined.
>
> However, when the same is performed under Windows, Emacs uses daylight
> savings with start and end corresponding to Cambridge, Massachusetts in
> spite of the fact that the two previously mentioned variables are undefined.

Sorry, I don't understand what is the difference in behavior you
allude to.  Please show a full recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", and
the results of running that recipe on both GNU/Linux and MS-Windows.
Also, please tell which version(s) of Emacs you used on each platform.

> Yet that is not all. If one creates a small init.el file with the following
> contents:
>
> START OF FILE
> (load "cal-dst")
>
> (setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts '(calendar-nth-named-day -1 0 3 year))
> ;(setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts nil)
> (setq calendar-daylight-savings-ends '(calendar-nth-named-day -1 0 10 year))
> ;(setq calendar-daylight-savings-ends nil)
> (setq calendar-daylight-time-offset 60)
> (setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts-time 180)
> (setq calendar-daylight-savings-ends-time 180)
> END OF FILE
>
> and invokes emacs with "runemacs --no-splash --no-site-file" (in that
> case the init.el will be executed), after which one evaluates the same
> form as before, one still gets the Cambridge, Massachusetts version of
> daylight savings. In other words, the two above mentioned variables have
> no effect.

Again, please show exactly the results of using this file that you
consider incorrect.  (If this is about the calendar-daylight-savings
variable having no effect on format-time-string, then I already
explained why there's no effect.  But it sounds like you are saying
something else here.)