[h-e-w] Cannot set start of daylight savings time

From: bostjanv
Subject: [h-e-w] Cannot set start of daylight savings time
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:39:29 -0700 (PDT)

 Hello,

Emacs manual states that to change the start or end of daylight savings time
from the default value (Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA), one has to change
the values of calendar-daylight-savings-starts and
calendar-daylight-savings-ends. However, all my attempts to do so are
failing. I am using the call of emacs (version 24.2.1), "runemacs
--no-splash --no-site-file", and the following simple init.el file:

START OF FILE
(load "cal-dst")

(setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts '(calendar-nth-named-day -1 0 3
year))
;(setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts nil)
(setq calendar-daylight-savings-ends '(calendar-nth-named-day -1 0 10 year))
;(setq calendar-daylight-savings-ends nil)
(setq calendar-daylight-time-offset 60)
(setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts-time 180)
(setq calendar-daylight-savings-ends-time 180)
END OF FILE

after which I evaluated the form

(format-time-string "%H:%M ")

None of the two values seen above (one of which is commented out) result in
any change (I always get the Cambridge, Massachusetts version). Can someone,
please, tell me what I am doing wrong?

Regards,
bostjanv