Re: [h-e-w] How to invoke Windows programs on a file from dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] How to invoke Windows programs on a file from dired
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:17:48 -0800

> The Emacs analog to Windows Explorer is dired (directory editor).
> In Windows Explorer you can select a file, right-click, and select
> an operation to perform on that file.  In Emacs dired you can select
> a file and perform an operation on that file.
>
> However the set of operations Emacs knows about is different from
> the set of operations Windows Explorer knows about.  In addition
> to the usual dired operations, I'd really like to be able to run
> the operations Windows Explorer knows about from within the Windows
> version of Emacs.  Does anyone know if this capability has ever
> been implemented?  If so, what do I need to install?

Load `w32-browser.el' and `dired+.el', and you'll be good to go.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DiredPlus#toc2

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/w32-browser.el
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/dired%2b.el

(You might also be interested in Bookmark+, which lets you take advantage of MS
Windows file associations when using bookmarks:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BookmarkPlus#toc33)