[h-e-w] How to invoke Windows programs on a file from dired

From: MBR
Subject: [h-e-w] How to invoke Windows programs on a file from dired
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:07:51 -0500

The Emacs analog to Windows Explorer is dired (directory editor).  In Windows Explorer you can select a file, right-click, and select an operation to perform on that file.  In Emacs dired you can select a file and perform an operation on that file.

However the set of operations Emacs knows about is different from the set of operations Windows Explorer knows about.  In addition to the usual dired operations, I'd really like to be able to run the operations Windows Explorer knows about from within the Windows version of Emacs.  Does anyone know if this capability has ever been implemented?  If so, what do I need to install?
Mark Rosenthal