Re: [h-e-w] <C-return> is undefined in nXML mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] <C-return> is undefined in nXML mode
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 15:55:33 -0800

> >>  I cannot use M-Tab because it is used by Windows to switch
> >>  between active Windows.
> >
> > I can help with this part, at least.  If you want Emacs to
> > handle `M-TAB' then just do this:
> > (w32-register-hot-key [M-tab])
>
> If you mean add that line to my .emacs file,

Yes.

> it did not work for me.  M-Tab still switches between windows.

Sorry about that.  Works for me.

Maybe something else in your .emacs is interfering somehow.  Try starting with
emacs -Q.

You don't mention what Emacs version you use, but it works for me in all
versions, from 20 through the latest 24 dev snapshot.

And of course `C-h f w32-register-hot-key' suggests that it should work.

> I verified that I added it to the correct file by entering
> a bogus command.

Just try it first with emacs -Q.  Type that in buffer *scratch* and use C-x C-e
to evaluate it.

> In any case, I do not really want to interfere with Windows.

I assume you mean that you want to use M-TAB to switch between MS Windows
applications.  If you do not then you need not worry that you are "interfering
with Windows", IMHO.  All that does is give the key to Emacs instead of Windows.

> I would rather enable the C-Return binding.

Someone else can perhaps help you with that.