Re: [h-e-w] Usign emacs as default program in windows 7

From: Matthew Fidler
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Usign emacs as default program in windows 7
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 08:24:38 -0600

Some help could be found below

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsMsWindowsIntegration

Also if you wish you can use EmacsW32 or EmacsPortable to manage associations.

Matt.

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 4:31 AM, Brian Elmegaard <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to make emacsclientw the default program for opening different file types, e.g. fortran source with the extension .for, in windows 7.

In order to do this I rightclick on a file and chosse 'Open with".
I choose browse and select the emacsclientw.exe which I have unzipped in \Program Files(x86)\emacs\bin.

I have two problems with this:

1: The same as explained here (http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/99462-cannot-add-program-open-menu.html) occurs. Simply, I do not get emacsclientw.exe in the list when I choose it.

I have tried emacs.exe as well with the same results. And I have tried to unzip to other locations with no luck.

I do not understand whether this has to do with emacs, windows 7 or the unzip utility (7-zip).

Any suggestions?

2: emacsclientw needs to be run as
"C:\Program Files (x86)\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe" -na runemacs.exe -c ""
if I understand correctly.

I need to create a shortcut manually to do this.
Would it be useful to distribute this shortcut by default or to make emacsclientw possible to run without it?

tia,
Brian