Re: [h-e-w] Unable to launch cygwin bash (M-x shell) in win 7 64 bit

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Unable to launch cygwin bash (M-x shell) in win 7 64 bit
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 06:21:26 -0400

Sivaram Neelakantan <address@hidden> writes:

> Right, thanks for that, I did as you suggested but it didn't work
>
> In the Roaming folder in AppData, created a file ~/.emacs_bash with
> just

Do you have the HOME env set, or are you using the default location
(which is AppData/Roaming)? If you have HOME set to something else,
that's where .emacs needs to go.

If you used Emacs to navigate to ~/, then you've got the right place.

To double check, add an 'echo' statement, and check to see the message
at shell creation.

> PS1="$ "
>
> as the only line in and tried with a new instance of Emacs and M-x
> shell, it still gives
>

> bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
> bash: no job control in this shell

I get this message as well, but only at shell creation. So I have not
bothered to track it down.

> ]0;/cygdrive/c/gnu/emacs-24.1/bin
> address@hidden /cygdrive/c/gnu/emacs-24.1/bin

Setting PS1 in ~/.emacs_bash does work for me (that's the only thing in
my .emacs_bash).

However, I get one default prompt, then the prompt I've set. That's
because .emacs_bash is run as the first command the shell executes; it
is created, gives one prompt, then runs .emacs_bash.

So is this only on the first line for you? Do subsequent command lines
show the prompt you've set?

Can you set PS1 from the command line, after the shell is created?

--
-- Stephe