[h-e-w] Emacs csharp-mode — configuration of c ode completion

From: Will King
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs csharp-mode — configuration of c ode completion
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 08:31:20 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All

This is a question that I posted recently on stack overflow, and didn't get
any answers, though it seems the problem might be that I'm missing a dll,
but I seem to have all the recommended dlls for the installation.

"I use speech recognition (Dragon naturally speaking) to write R and SQL
code in emacs. It works extremely well.

I'm using C# in Visual Studio to write a number of console applications to
run data processing tasks. Once the applications are set up in Visual
Studio, I want to use emacs so that I can take advantage of the speech
recognition/emacs combination for C# also.

I have csharp-mode working for text highlighting; with hide-show.el working
fine for code folding; and with flymake which also works well.

However, I am really struggling to make sense of the configuration for code
completion.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium. .NET 3.5. GNU Emacs 23.3.1.

I have all of the charp-tools from
http://code.google.com/p/csharpmode/downloads/detail?name=CsharpToolsForEmacs.2011may13.zip&can=2&q=

aspx-mode.el

cscomp-base.el

CscompUtilities.cs

CscompUtilities.dll

csharp-analysis.el

csharp-completion.el

csharp-mode.el

csharp-shell.el

ICSharpCode.NRefactory.dll

makefile

tfs.el

I have placed them in my site-lisp directory, with the following in my
.emacs file.

(setq auto-mode-alist
(append '(("\\.cs$" . csharp-mode)) auto-mode-alist))
(require 'csharp-mode)
(require 'flymake-for-csharp)
(setq flymake-for-csharp-dotnet-location
"C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v3.5")

(eval-after-load "csharp-completion"
        '(progn
           (setq cscomp-assembly-search-paths
            (list "C:\\Program Files\\Reference
Assemblies\\Microsoft\\Framework\\v3.5" ;;Reference assemblies
          "C:\\Windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v3.5" ;; Framework
assemblies
          "C:\\Program Files\\SQLite.NET\\bin" ;; SQLite

          ))))

;;csharp mode hook
   (defun my-csharp-mode-fn ()
      "function that runs when csharp-mode is initialized for a buffer."
      (turn-on-auto-revert-mode)
      (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
      (require 'csharp-completion)
      (csharp-analysis-mode 1)
      (flymake-mode 1)
      (ruler-mode 1)
      (hs-minor-mode 1)
      (local-set-key "\M-\\"   'cscomp-complete-at-point)
      (local-set-key "\M-\."   'cscomp-complete-at-point-menu)

   )
(add-hook  'csharp-mode-hook 'my-csharp-mode-fn t)

;;powershell
;; add the dir to load path
;;(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/")

;; autoload powershell interactive shell
(autoload 'powershell "powershell" "Start a interactive shell of
PowerShell." t)

When I open a my source file in emacs and attempt code completion, using the
Alt + . , emacs calls powershell. The following messages appear in my emacs
messages buffer:

    CSCOMP 17:05:52 csharp-analysis-mode: setting vars for initial
conditions CSCOMP 17:05:56 re-analyzing... CSCOMP 17:05:56 Starting
CscompShell... powershell starting up...in buffer CscompShell CSCOMP
17:05:57 CscompShell vncaught exception System.IO.FileNotFoundException:
Could not load file or assembly 'Ionic.CopyData, Version=1.0.1.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=edbe51ad942a3f5c' or one of its
dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.File name:
'Ionic.CopyData, Version=1.0.1.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=edbe51ad942a3f5c'
    at Ionic.Cscomp.Tracing.Trace(String format, Object[] args) at
Ionic.Cscomp.Utilities.SetBasicSearchPaths() at
Ionic.Cscomp.Utilities..cctor()WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned
OFF.To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.Note: There is some
performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.To turn
this feature off, remove the registry value
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog]."1.3.0.2 is now running...

The following message happens when I attempt code completion with Alt + . ,
which is bound to the cscomp-complete-at-point-menu function

    setq: Symbol's value as variable is void: Exception

Any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong?"