Re: [h-e-w] Printing - At Wit's End

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Printing - At Wit's End
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:55:44 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:23:26 -0700
> From: Michael Flynn <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> If I enter this string:
> gswin64c.exe -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH test.pdf
> into a windows command window, a window opens then closes before I can
> see what it was, then nothing happens.

Where test.pdf is what?  Please try instead a PostScript file,
preferably the one produced by ps-print-buffer when invoked with an
argument (it should ask you for a file name where to save the
PostScript it generates).

Anyway, if invoking gswin64c from the Windows shell doesn't succeed to
print, this is not an Emacs problem.  You need first to configure
your Ghostscript to be able to print to your printer.  The window that
appears and then closes might be logged in the system log file, so I
would suggest to look in the Event Logger, under Application logs, for
anything appropriate.

Does it work to invoke gswin64c like below (taken directly from the
Emacs manual)?

  gswin64c.exe -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=mswinpr2 FILE.ps

Here FILE.ps is the file with the PostScript output of
ps-print-buffer.  The mswinpr2 thingy stands for the Windows' default
printer.  However, please review the Ghostscript documentation to make
sure the default printer is still called in Ghostscript by that name;
it's been a while since that information was written in the Emacs
manual, so perhaps things changed, especially on 64-bit Windows.