[h-e-w] .emacs file(s) for multiple versions of Emacs on Windows

From: MBR
Subject: [h-e-w] .emacs file(s) for multiple versions of Emacs on Windows
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 00:31:53 -0400

After way too long, I'm finally getting around to upgrading from Emacs 21.3.1 to Emacs 23.4.1.  I downloaded the precompiled Windows version from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-23.4-bin-i386.zip, unpacked it, and created a Windows shortcut to bin/runemacs.exe.  The OS is Windows XP SP3.

When I start up the new version, it finds that I've got an initialization file at C:/.emacs, and it looks like some of the Lisp code that works under 21.3.1 no longer works under 23.4.1.  For the moment I want to keep both versions installed.  Is there some way to have the different versions initialize themselves from different .emacs files?  Alternatively, is there some Lisp code I can insert to test which version of Emacs is running, so I can conditionalize the code to do the right thing for each version?
Mark Rosenthal
address@hidden