Re: [h-e-w] Workarounds for emacs on Windows 7

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Workarounds for emacs on Windows 7
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 19:15:56 +0200

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 11:50:58 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> I just realized that I have only told about one of the problems I have
>> seen. There are two:
>>
>> - The menus does not work as they should. This problem can only happen
>> the way I see it in my patched Emacs, but I am not sure it is really
>> related to any of my patches. What I see is that the "&"-signs that I
>> use to get underlined chars in the menus now shows up as just "&"
>> chars instead. Fixing the underline is done by the w32 API so they get
>> wrong information somehow here.
>
> Do those menus include non-ASCII characters?

No, it is all ASCII chars. And I see the problem only now and then. In
those cases Emacs shows the menus perfectly well from the beginning,
but then later that strange behavior above appears.

> There's a bug in all versions of Emacs older than the current trunk,
> whereby whenever some call to AppendMenuW returns an error indication,
> Emacs assumes that it is running on Windows 9X, and switches to
> calling AppendMenuA instead.  Menu entries that include non-ASCII
> characters not from the current locale will display as blanks or
> question marks or just gibberish after that switch.  Maybe what you
> see is some manifestation of that bug.

Thanks. I guess there could be a problem in the call of the w32 menu
API, but I have not been able to locate it. (BTW, this was one of the
reasons why I wanted all system API-calls to be checked for return
values.)