[h-e-w] Emacs Windows binaries causing false virus alarms - Update

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs Windows binaries causing false virus alarms - Update
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 15:29:47 -0700

All,

On 2/2/2012 4:37 AM, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Christoph Scholtes, who compiled the binaries, is currently looking
> into this.  In the meantime, I've pulled the 23.4 binaries off the
> FTP site, just to be safe.
>
> Emacs had problems being incorrectly flagged by anti-virus software
> before.  We'll see whether this is the same situation.

The result of my investigation is that certain versions of mingw-gcc caused these false alarms with the Emacs binaries posted on the website.

Similar reports can be found on the mingw mailing list as of recently.

At least one virus scanner (Avira) is confirmed to produce false alerts with the binaries in question. Other scanners do not alert even with the latest virus definitions.

Affected are/were:

- Emacs 23.4 binaries (removed from the site since)
- Emacs weekly snapshots from 10-18-2011 to 01-22-2012 (still on the site)

Not affected are:
- Emacs 24 Pretest binaries (confirmed by myself and at least one other user that reported weekly snapshots as causing an alarm)

I have identified mingw-gcc compiler versions that do not cause any issues:

mingw-gcc 4.4.0
mingw-gcc 4.6.2

I have rebuilt the Emcs 23.4 binaries with gcc 4.4.0 and they check out fine (with Avira). I have also done a snapshot build of today's Emacs trunk with gcc 4.6.2 and it checks out fine, too.

I will upload the updated 23.4 build to the GNU site soon with a new snapshot build for Emacs 24 to follow tomorrow sometime.

Please report any more issues you might encounter.

I apologize for any hassle this might have caused.

Christoph