Re: [h-e-w] unicode file-name-coding-system support? UTF16?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] unicode file-name-coding-system support? UTF16?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:27:56 +0200

> Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 23:27:11 +0800
> From: K Murnau <address@hidden>
>
> I am trying to read and write files with Japanese/Chinese Characters
> in their file name. Setting UTF8 does not work (Windows seems to treat
> the UTF8 bytes as ASCII)).
>
> I thought Windows uses UCS/UTF16 for its filenames, however, setting
> the emacs variable file-name-coding-system to UTF16 is not accepted by
> emacs...
>
> It seems like other users are successfully reading/writing unicode
> file names, what am I doing wrong?

No one who uses Emacs on Windows can use Unicode file names yet, for
the simple reason that support for that was not yet added to Emacs.

Emacs can only access file names encodable by the system codepage, you
can see its value by typing "M-: locale-coding-system RET".  If
setting file-name-coding-system to that value doesn't solve your
problem, please report a bug (with "M-x report-emacs-bug RET") and
include there all the relevant details.

TIA