Re: [h-e-w] Compiling Emacs from Bazaar with full image support (and lib

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Compiling Emacs from Bazaar with full image support (and libxml2)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 06:48:15 -0400

> Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:15:41 +0200
> From: Deniz Dogan <address@hidden>
>
> I'd like it if someone could tell me exactly what to install (GnuWin32?
> MingW? Cygwin?), where to install it, how to set up my environment
> variables (PATH and all) and what to tell configure.bat.
>
> I want to have "full image support", i.e., I want to be able to look at
> GIF, PNG, JPEG, XPM and SVG in Emacs.  Furthermore, I want to be able to
> use libxml2 in Emacs.

Did you study nt/INSTALL?  It should be the source of the information
you are looking for.

My configuration includes:

  . MinGW port of GCC and Binutils (from the MinGW site).  Beware of
    GCC 4.5.x, it caused people grief, I think.

  . MinGW runtime and Win32 API -- install the latest ones from the
    MinGW site.

  . MinGW port of Make.  You can compile it from sources (that's what
    I did) or you could download a precompiled binary from the MinGW
    site.

  . Image libraries from the places mentioned in nt/INSTALL.

  . GnuWin32 port of makeinfo (from the Texinfo package).  The latest
    port of Texinfo 3.12 is broken, so look for an earlier port.  I
    use 3.8 or 3.9.

  . GnuWin32 ports of rm, cp, and mv from Fileutils.

  . bzr from the Bazaar site

I don't have libxml2 -- did someone actually try building the Windows
port with it?

SVG support is experimental, and installing and configuring all its
prerequisites is not for the faint at heart.  My advice is to do
without it at first.

A word of caution regarding the MinGW site: do NOT download MSYS
ports, that's not what you need.  Download MinGW ports only.

I suggest to install all the headers, including those of image
libraries, into the same directory `include' under the same parent
directory as the `bin' directory where you have gcc.exe.  This will
avoid the need to pass all kinds of optional switches to
nt/configure.bat.

If you have Cygwin or MSYS installed on that machine, make sure they
are not on your PATH when you build Emacs.  Mixing Cygwin/MSYS with
native tools is asking for trouble, as they are subtly incompatible.

Good luck!