Re: [h-e-w] Building Emacs trunk on Windows 7, using MinGW + MSYS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Building Emacs trunk on Windows 7, using MinGW + MSYS
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:36:37 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 17:21:19 +0200
> Cc: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 16:57, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >  If you have MSYS installed, try "make SHELL=cmd.exe" to force the
> >  use of cmd.exe instead of the MSYS sh.exe.
>
> Surely you're right, but Dani said that
>
>  make SHELL=cmd bootstrap
>
> also failed for him.

Setting SHELL from the command line is tricky in the Windows port of
Make.  I don't remember the details, but it's possible you need to say
SHELL=cmd.exe, with the explicit .exe extension.  Removing sh.exe from
PATH (or renaming it) is much easier and more reliable.

Btw, Dany, are you perhaps using an MSYS port of Make?  If so, there's
another source of similar problems.  Please use the MinGW port
instead (you can compile it yourself from sources, if you want: it
boils down to running a single batch file).