Re: [h-e-w] c:/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] c:/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:51:27 +0200

> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:08:24 +0100
> From: "Gamoto" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "help-emacs-windows" <address@hidden>
>
> During the week-end I found one solution ...
> control panel > folder options > files types > select erl extention >
> advanced > action > open > modify
> write this with the quotation marks:
> "c:\program files\emacs-23.2\bin\emacsclient.exe" -na "c:\program
> files\emacs-23.2\bin\runemacs.exe" "%1"
> Double-click on an erlang file opens it with Emacs.
> This is one solution but not THE solution !
> If I double-click another erlang file, another Emacs instance is starting and
> an error message displays:
> Warning (server) unable to start the emacs server. There is an existing Emacs
> server, named "server".
>
> Probably because I didn't use emacsclientw.exe ?

No, because you use -a, and something is wrong with the way you start
your server or with the way emacsclient communicates with that server.

There's no way around the problem you are having with the server, you
must find the reason and solve it.

Let's try again.  Start with "emacs -Q", then type "M-x server-start RET",
then open a command window and type "emacsclient FILE.erl", where
FILE.erl is some Erlang file you have on your system.  Does that cause
the file to become visible in the Emacs session where you started the
server?  Or does it say "No socket or alternate editor..." etc.?