Re: [h-e-w] c:/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe

From: Ben Key
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] c:/.emacs.d/server' is unsafe
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:43:59 -0600

Gamoto writes

> I need an .emacs file because my goal is to use emacs WITH erlang !

You can still use a .emacs file.  Just put it in a location where Emacs looks for it automatically and do not attempt to force it using HOME.  Since Emacs uses
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data" as the HOME directory when you do not have a .emacs file or set the HOME environment variable (which you can demonstrate by removing your .emacs file temporarily, remove the HOME environment variable, then open ~/ using C-x X-f, 'C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Application Data' will be displayed in the top line of the dired buffer) simply place your .emacs file there.  If you do that and then adjust the directory permissions as I outlined in my earlier Email, it will work.  Like I said, I actually have a Windows Server 2003 computer here which I used to test the steps I sent to you.

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> The procedure you used is one of those cited in
> the discussions I pointed to at the beginning of this
> thread.

My guess is that the reason it did not work is that
Gamoto was attempting to use a directory other than "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data" as his home directory.  Windows uses special security settings for the Application Data directory that are intended to ensure only the user the Application Data directory is for has access to it that it does not use for directories elsewhere. If I set HOME to "c:\" and start Emacs, and then call server-start, the server directory is created in "c:\.emacs.d\server" and I get the server unsafe message.  If I then look at the security settings of this directory it is a lot different than the server directory created in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\.emacs.d."  The largest differences is in the "Group or user names" list.  When the server directory is created in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\.emacs.d\server" only Administrator, Administrators, and SYSTEM appear in the "Group or user names" list. When the server directory is created in "c:\.emacs.d\server" the items Administrators, CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM, and Users appear in the "Group or user names" list. Note Administrator does not even appear in this list.  I think it is these subtle differences in permissions that caused Gamot's earlier attempts to fail because he was attempting to use some other directory as his HOME directory.

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> Of course you need .emacs!  No one suggested you
> get rid of it.  Emacs with a .emacs file is heresy.

I agree.  In my earlier message I was not suggesting that
Gamot get rid of his .emacs file but that he quit attempting to force Emacs to use a specific directory for his HOME directory by using the one Emacs would want to use if he did not set the HOME environment variable or place a .emacs file in one of the alternate locations Emacs searches for it (thus causing Emacs to use that directory as HOME).  I apologize if it sounded like I was suggesting he eliminate his .emacs file (now that I read through my message again I realize that it may have come across that way).