Re: [h-e-w] Speeding up Emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Speeding up Emacs
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:14:53 +0100

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: "Fidler,Matt,FORT WORTH,R&D" <address@hidden>
>> CC: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 08:32:33 -0600
>>
>> (1) Compile emacs from source using gcc, and image libraries (except svg)
>> (2) Move temacs to the binary distribution directory
>> (3) Attempt to dump emacs by
>>
>> temacs -batch -l loadup  --execute "(dump-emacs \"fast-emacs.exe\"
>> \"temacs.exe\")"
>>
>> In theory this should load my site-init and .emacs and then dump the new
>> emacs.  I would prefer to leave the site-load pristine, but I can change
>> this if necessary.
>
> This should have worked, I think.  I would be interested in seeing the
> errors, when you have them.

I am not familiar with this, but I just tested the above procedure
using my patched Emacs. I got a fast-emacs.exe which is 52 MB as
compared to emacs.exe which is 38 MB.

I saw no errors during dumping. However when I try to run
fast-emacs.exe there are some problems:

* From "emacs -Q"
  - Emergency (alloc): Warning: past 75% of memory limit
 - No menu bar and no tool bar

* From "emacs --no-desktop" also:
  - Creating directory: no such file or directory,
c:/temp/babel-354474R (seems to come from org-mode)